The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
"Zodiac" Overprinted on Carrera Dial; Reference 1153

I have always been a fan of the "Poor Man's Heuers", and the Calliber 12 Zodiac has always been of particular interest. This Zodiac seems to be identical to the comparable Carrera (third execution of the Reference 1153N), with the exception of the name on the dial.

A few weeks ago, Rick Hovsepian posted this very interesting photo (below), showing that this Zodiac dial had begun life as a Carrera dial, and then been overprinted with the Zodiac name. You can click here, to see Rick's posting.

Well, tonight I had the opportunity to borrow another Zodiac with an overprinted Carrera dial and, after around 100 photos, was able to capture the "Heuer Carrera", which was originally printed on the dial.

As an aside, I had always avoided the later executions of the Carrera 1153, but have to say that this is a very pretty watch. The "double wide" markers really pop off the dial, and look great with the wide pencil style hands. Maybe this is an instance in which Heuer got the hands and accents "right", some years after the 1153 was originally introduced. It is definitely more "1970s" than then earlier executions of the 1153, which carried over some elements from the 1960s.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE