The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Be Careful
In Response To: Re: Be Careful ()

: So was your usual watch source and his watchmaker into the scam or
: were they fooled also?

Ben,

That is an interesting question. My answer is that I think the watchmaker was fooled. He works on Rolex but he is not certified and he is not a Rolex nut. This was a really good fake. As for my watch source...Since this morning and after speaking with several colleagues around town I believe that when he originally bought the watch he actually believed the watch was real...he believed the watchmaker. I now believe that since having he watchmaker look at the watch he sold it to someone else who returned it because they found out it was a fake...probably by taking it to the local Rolex dealer. When he showed it to me today I think he still wanted to believe but that he had serious doubts.

My feeling is that he will probably try to fob it off on somebody else. I have no idea how much he paid for it but I am sure that, in the scheme of things he paid a lot of money. He is probably more concerned about his money than his name. In this business I deal with a lot of different types of people. I don't trust anybody completely...but I trust some people more than others. I have known some of the people I buy watches from for 40 years or more. Some of them had fathers who dealt with my father. As my father said and as I like to say all of the time, you listen to what people have to say about their goods but you only believe what the goods say.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE