The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Well then thats what it takes
In Response To: What If - - - ()

Well, I almost bought a NOS GMT with rare link band from Gisbert at Joseph_Watches in early Sept of 2001 for $1750.

I was concerned because the bezel was perfect except for 2 yes only 2 hairline scrathes....and I thought for $1750 i should be able to find one that is perfect. Well 9/11 happened and before i knew it the watch was gone.

Now almost 3 yrs later, I have owned two GMTs and passed on 5-6 others....almost all with poor bezels...like 20-100+ scratches. So, now I am convinced, one must pay up to get what they want in the vintage watch market....if they want it now.

ps, Re $10k....the owner will realize at some point that almost no one will be willing to pay $3k for a 70s Heuer....as most rolex GMTs go for this and some new Rolex's too.

That's where I come in, I pay people their cost when they have overpaid on an obscure watch that really has 1-2 buyers at that price point. So, my point is he most likely wont sell now....but surely will remember my offer, and be happy to sell later when the market & his love of the watch has surely cooled.

What separates me is I have time to wait; and many people eventually need the money. We have all overpaid on some watch; and love to unload when that right bidder shows up.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE