The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Last arrival: Monaco 1133B with unusual combo

Hi all,

this post is to share with you my latest acquisition, a NOS Heuer Monaco 1133B with transitional metallic blue dial (but standard hands).

Before going on, I really want to thank all the forum experts I contacted (Darren, Abel, Richard C., Gigi) that gave me their expert evaluation and suggestions as, before deciding if buying it or not, I had some doubts about the originality of the watch in this unusual combination of dial and hands…

Apart for the delight of sharing this watch I decided to post it because I think it could be interesting for the expert collectors of this forum that study the history of the Heuer brand and the model’s variations because this watch has some particular characteristics that place it on the timeline between the true 1969’s transitional 1133B (the metallic dial and the cal.11 movement - not 11i but 11 as the date jumps between 11.45 and 12.00) and the later standard production model (later serial #160xxx – not 157xxx or early 158xxx - and standard production hands).
Richard C. confirmed me that the dial is absolutely authentic but he told me it’s the first time he saw a trans dial with the letters UTO and RON (aUTOmatic cRONograph) not aligned, as instead is usual to see on the transitional dial (so letters are put like on the matt blue std. dials):

And also the HEUER MONACO font is typical of a std - and not trans - dial (see the H and R fonts):

So putting together all the elements (early cal.11 movement, metallic dial BUT with fonts unaligned, later case serial #160xxx and std. production hands), it could be that this watch had been produced around 1970 (as reference, Arno M.H. std. 1133B Monaco – 2010 auction Lot 99 – is #1601xx and is dated 1970, I think Arno did some researches about the production year of his Heuer :-) ), probably could be that Heuer used on this early dial – before swapping to std matt blue one - the same fonts cliché that they would have used later for the standard dial ?? Only God knows…

I found occasionally this watch three months ago at an old ex-Heuer dealer that had some others interesting timepieces of other brands remained unsold and resting in his safe for 40 years and more (I had the doubt he could have also some Heuer wristwatches after he had shown me some Hervue dash clocks, so I literally “obliged” the old dealer to empty the safe and in a watch roll, together with some other vintage timepieces there was this beauty, secluded carelessly with the unhappy forgotten companions).

The case was really dirty, especially around the plexi, but nothing that a good ultrasonic bath cleaner couldn’t solve:

So unfortunately no box and papers for it, but an original unworn full-length NSA bracelet:

and the usual red sticker on the caseback (even if really dirty).

Unfortunately the watch isn’t perfect (is this the reason why it has remained unsold in the past years, before the Heuer fever re-exploded?), as the tritium dots have eaten a bit the metallic brushed finish of the dial around the hour markers:

moreover it has some very light scratches on the plexi due to careless storing, but the case is in very good shape, I would say perfect considering that damned roll, with crisp edges and a wonderful untouched brushed finish:

As the watch remained for many years unused, before speaking about the price I asked the dealer to verify for melted gasket damage, but honestly I never opened a Monaco before (even if I exactly know how to do) and he didn’t want to open it (not having the spare gasket to replace in case of problems) so we decided to give the watch to an expert watchmaker and restorer I used in the past and I knew he had experience on vintage watches and on Cal 11/12 movements to make it check.
In effect the gasket was melt but fortunately, after a difficult cleaning, no relevant damage has revealed under the old gasket:

so, as the watch was opened, in addition to the gasket replacement I asked for a complete movement service too (I told the dealer: “If I will not buy it someone will do and you will sell a watch fully serviced so no worry about the mandatory post-sale service”) and a case & bracelet cleaning (excluding the lower case part to not damage the red sticker). Now the watch runs perfectly and keeps very good time, pushers and crown are tender like the butter and date jumps without any problem...

At the end, even if with a bit of sadness for the small dial damage, I decided to buy the watch (“Hey, how many NOS Monaco 1133B with trans dial still will exist out there?” I told myself).

Despite to the original NSA bracelet and to another original black Corfam 22/16 with sun buckle I have in my drawer, I think I will remove the bracelet and I will mount the buckle on a dark blue simil-Corfam strap that I’m looking for:

In conclusion, IMHO this dial / hands combination is very beautiful (the dial is superb on the natural sun light as it swaps from the dark blue to a light sky blue depending on the angle the light hits it), even if not fully correct (let’s say that is not correct with respect to what Heuer collectors community would expect from a transitional Monaco but possible according to some collectors I asked to).
It could also be possible that, in the far past, someone replaced the hands or the dial (who knows), but I assume the watch is original because the ex-dealer told me the watch never exit from his safe in all those years - let's say that he forgot it as he didn't remember to have Heuer timepieces before I asked to open all the rolls - and moreover he had in his safe also some interesting timepieces that usually had only the big exclusive agents (like a rare salesman dash clocks holder and some rare old 1958 Hervue dash clocks posted here some months ago), but who cares, even if probably there will be forum users that will think that it is a “put-together” I think it worth to be bought …

Would be curious to know your opinions about this unusual Cal.11 mvmt / case / dial / hands combination...

Thanks you all if you had the patience to arrive until here :-).

All my best.

Gianluca

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE