The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A definitive (sort of) answer

According to the Heuer archives, the non-tachy dial came first.... well I say that because on the dial boards in the Heuer archive that we saw at the LFdC collectors meet, the non-tachy dial is assigned a lower number. See the photo below.

The presence of the tacky dial on the board confirms that it is a bona-fide Heuer dial, if there are any questions around this. I'll post a good story about this later.

I say it is only a "sort of" definitive answer because Heuer's record keeping in those days was haphazard, and although the dial boards are an incredible source of information, I don't think they were compiled with a huge amount of precision with the idea that in 2014, people would be driving to their home on Moonbase Alpha in their flying car (or jet pack) and checking on their phone what a world community of Heuer obsessives thought. Actually they probably expected the flying cars, jet packs, and living on the moon, but they would not have predicted the internet and the OtD community!

Got to go know, more thoughts later. Any views from anyone else?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE