The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: That point says a lot.
In Response To: That point says a lot. ()

: "If you care about the pieces it wears you
: out after a while."

: I found this to be an interesting sentiment and
: one I am still mulling over. I agree that
: there are many "don't care
: dealers" out there but I'm not sure the
: buyers are to blame.

I am not really blaming the buyers. Posting like this and email are a thoroughly inadequate way of communicating complex issues like this. I few hundred words, even carefully chosen are no substitute for 1 hour and a couple of beers.

: My experience is that it is hard to mix passion
: and profession in a buy/sell--retail type
: environment. The fervor that originally
: attracts you is also the same thing that
: will often keep the new dealer from being
: successful.

That is a point true of any type of business, you are only really going to be successful if you are enthused by what you do. The point is that people who collect vintage watches are usually pretty well educated and quite well heeled. So they think ' I could do that' and they can, but it's how you do it that is important.

Speaking for myself I have been quite successful in my first year and have met lots of really nice people who have liked what I do. I have sold watches that I am proud of to people who are very happy and that was my aim. To have a style that people could trust.

: I know too many "avid enthusiasts"
: like myself who have crossed over to the
: dark side and became psuedo-dealers who no
: longer have the passion I still feel for
: fine time pieces. I see and understand the
: temptation but believe my favorite hobby is
: too important to risk for a few bucks
: profit. Money is a drug and once you start
: buying and selling strictly for profit you
: will be hooked. The test for me is simple;
: when I look at a watch do I see art or cash?
: I believe this is what separates me from the
: dealers.

This is a point made by a collector who deals. That means everyone who has any significant collection of high priced items. Heuer watches once were are now farley expensive pieces. I know you are only using an analogy but the 'dark side'. I'm not one of them

I think there is an underlying thread here.
years ago Ebay was cheap and these watches were plentiful. Now they are not.

I guess it is lamenting that easy dealing, ' Oh hey! No problem' way of conducting transactions that we are and will continue to miss.

: I have a few simple rules which allow me to
: enjoy my hobby: 1) Buy smart. (never buy new
: and avoid most dealers if possible)

: 2) I never buy anything I wouldn't wear or be
: willing to keep forever.

: 3) When selling I never price anything more
: than 10% over what I paid.

: 4) When selling be willing to accept 20% less
: than I paid.

: Unlike a dealer my goal is to break even or
: come as close as possible to continue funding
: my hobby. I keep records of all transactions
: and at the end of the year I have always
: recouped through trades/sales at least 95%
: of what I've spent. That -5% is just the
: cost of having fun and anyone will tell you
: that fun isn't free.

I have tremendous fun selling watches, I like taking pictures and the shots themselves give me tremendous satisfaction creatively. I go a long way to make sure that people are happy while trying to bring a little truth to the table. I would like something back for it. A few bucks by the way is $5 maybe $30. Try buying a vintage El Primero chronograph in whatever state on Ebay for under $950 now.

As I said, we have been witnesses and benefactors of a golden era and I for one no matter what I have said which may have been taken as moaning have had a really, really great time. even if I never make myself in to a Heuer Millionaire, right Dave.

Regards

Alistair

www.atgvintagewatches.com - Nice bit of marketing WINK!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE