The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Very Interesting / The Modern Day Diary *LINK*

If I understand these blogs correctly, they are basic diaries, which the writer chooses to publish via the internet, on a real-time basis. Of course, where Pepys and the other famous diarists worked with pen and paper, we will look to you for the latest in whiz-bang diary / blog technology, and I imagine that your blog will be a great resource for all of us.

Here are a few paragraphs that I just found, in a description of Pepys (linked below):

Pepys's diary is not so much a record of events as a re-creation of them. Not all the passages are as picturesque as the famous set pieces in which he describes Charles II's coronation or the Great Fire of London, but there is no entry which does not, in some degree, display the same power of summoning back to life the events it relates.

Pepys's skill lay in his close observation and total recall of detail. It is the small touches that achieve the effect. Another is the freshness and flexibility of the language. Pepys writes quickly in shorthand and for himself alone. The words, often piled on top of each other without much respect for formal grammar, exactly reflect the impressions of the moment. Yet the most important explanation is, perhaps, that throughout the diary Pepys writes mainly as an observer of people. It is this that makes him the most human and accessible of diarists, and that gives the diary its special quality as a historical record.

Instead of writing a considered narrative, such as would be presented by the historian or biographer or autobiographer, Pepys shows us hundreds of scenes from life - civil servants in committee, MP's in debate, concerts of music, friends on a river outing. Events are jumbled together, sermons with amorous assignations, domestic tiffs with national crises. . .

To me, it is interesting that so many of these same factors that made Pepys the most famous diarist continue to shape how we write (and read) on the internet.

We hope you enjoy blogging. I am certain that we will all enjoy whatever you may write.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Howdy, I've been playing around with this thing
: for the past couple of days: Chuck
: Maddox's Watch Blog:

:

: I really don't know where it'll lead, or how
: it'll go, but I felt a need to be able to
: have and share notes about people, places
: and things that I could revisit as needed
: without a lot of hassle.

: At the moment it's Omega heavy (no surprise),
: but I hope it will grow to be more general
: in nature in the future.

: Setting up a Blog is very easy, at least on
: Blogger and I wish I had done something like
: this years ago.

: I hope you find it interesting/worthwhile...

: -- Chuck

:

: Chuck Maddox

:

: ( Article index @
: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html

: ” Chronographs, like many things in
: life, only improve with age… ”

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE