The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
IDF Autavia 7763??

Ebay item 201339668734 has a description claiming that the watch is IDF issued. I don't usually get involved with calling out doubtful watches but as I have spent a bit of time studying IDF Heuers, I feel it is worth giving my thoughts.

The font style of the numbers on the back case looks similar to the characteristic IDF numbers. However, the way the numbers are carved is certainly not typical. On all the IDF watches I have seen, the numbers are carved with a rotary tool which is moved to carved out the numbers, but the rotation is what causes the inscription "pit". These numbers look as if they have been carved out in the direction of the font lines, by just using a sharp tool. I guess there is a chance there was a different carving style early on, but then why use the later font style? I can't say that it is definitely wrong, but the evidence is not supportive. I leave others to make their own judgement.

The dial looks repainted to me, especially the sub-dials, this doesn't change the IDF non-IDF aspect. Having said that, I love the bezel, which looks completely original and with a beautiful patina.

I don't think I have seen an Autavia from this era with IDF markings; but having said that, we can always learn new things. I had never seen a Argentina AF 3rd exec Autavia until I bought one last week...

As I said before, everyone can make up their own mind, but much as I'd like this to be true (it would be a cool watch), I personally have very strong doubts.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE