The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Mixed Results at Christie's -- 7 of 8 Watches Sold

i have been of the opinion that the Heuers that have come up since the Aurel show have been poor examples and not sought after models

that was largely the case with these lots but still it is impossible i think to ignore that Heuers are in at best an "air pocket" and at worst a correction (perhaps minor, perhaps major)

i find it puzzling particularly when omegas seem to regularly make new highs

there is for sure a lot of supply around. . some asking fantasy prices. . maybe also too many "put together" watches have spoiled people (yet not for rolex, apparently)

it will be interesting to see if we get some A+ examples how prices compare to the last 6 months

i for one feel like the watch market is in a bubble phase but that Heuers in the context of this market will not stay down for long. the best are just too good as far as watches go. . .

: Eight vintage Heuers seem to have achieved mixed results at
: Christie's.

: Here are the results --
: https://www.christies.com/salelanding/index.aspx?intsaleid=27653&entry=heuer&saletitle
: =

: Very weak on the Reference 1163 MH, which has the wrong movement
: and has been on the market for over two years . . . and finally
: sold for 5,000 euro. My last offer for it was in the $10,000 to
: $12,000 range, but it had been in the hands of very stubborn
: owners / sellers.

: Strong on the Autavia 2446C . . . at 15,000 CHF.

: Average on the Carrera 1158 CHN (second execution) . . . at 30,000
: CHF.

: And so the May 2018 auctions in Geneva are over. Time to reflect
: and review . . . pockets of strength . . . pockets of weakness .
: . . eBay quality watches generally sell for eBay prices, even
: when they travel to Geneva and are under the bright lights. And
: as we see in so many markets, the ones that went up the fastest
: have come down the fastest.

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE