The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Bizarre Forces in the Market, 2016 through 2018

We have seen some crazy forces at play in the Heuer market, from May 2016 through May 2018 . . . who can remember the Franken shown below fetching 62,000 euro (final price) in May 2016, and a couple of IDF Autavias trading at or above that price? Or the ill-fated Heuer 100, a few months later?

Some sales in 2017 seemed to bring stability (Christie's June 2017 being a good success), and it seems that we are still processing / digesting the Heuer Parade (November 2017).

It would have been nice to have had a nice auction of 20 or 30 top-quality Heuers in May 2018, but that didn't happen. Phillips was small, but strong / stable; Antiquorum had 37 cats and dogs, with too many "eBay quality" watches; Sotheby's tipped its hand / showed its ignorance, by including a blatant fake; and Christie's seemed to do OK with their 8 Heuers, with a couple of good results and a couple of very weak ones.

So now we can go back to eBay, chrono24, and the back channels / private sellers . . . which is where the good ones seem to be moving.

I'm not sure whether it's a bubble, an air pocket or a correction . . . I'll be happy with anything above "crash" status. It seems that we are still recovering from some of what happened two years ago . . . but we are not really there yet.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: i have been of the opinion that the Heuers that have come up since
: the Aurel show have been poor examples and not sought after
: models

: that was largely the case with these lots but still it is
: impossible i think to ignore that Heuers are in at best an
: "air pocket" and at worst a correction (perhaps minor,
: perhaps major)

: i find it puzzling particularly when omegas seem to regularly make
: new highs

: there is for sure a lot of supply around. . some asking fantasy
: prices. . maybe also too many "put together" watches
: have spoiled people (yet not for rolex, apparently)

: it will be interesting to see if we get some A+ examples how prices
: compare to the last 6 months

: i for one feel like the watch market is in a bubble phase but that
: Heuers in the context of this market will not stay down for
: long. the best are just too good as far as watches go. . .

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE