The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Scammers on Chronotrader

Hi guys,
Please allow me to comment on a discussion we had a while ago about the scammers on the Chronotrader sales platform.
Most of us agreed that the number of scam adds was negligible. That if we did our homework there was no problem at all.
Well I must disagree I am afraid.
I get questions about fake ads every week. I hear about people losing hard earned money.
Are they being naive? Not doing their homework? Maybe.

Fact is that today a large number of the advertised watches are scam ads.
They will accept PayPal. So that doesn't mean anything.
I have been scammed twice since I am collecting watches. In one occasion I was naive indeed. The second time it was almost impossible to avoid.

One thing that always works for me is that I ask the seller if he would consider sending me the item and that I pay once I get it.
That may seem absurd but a real seller will consider that or will at least try to find a solution.
A scammer will lose his nerve, will immediately go from friendly to unfriendly. They just don't know how to cope with that.
Once they start being rude, you forget about it. You don't want to buy from a scammer or someone unfriendly.

So good luck and watch out. Chronotrader is not a safe place anymore. I am really sorry to say this but it is my honest opinion.

Best regards,
Bernard

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE