The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: auto vs. quartz- lets mix it up

I've thought about this for awhile. To be honest I always hated getting ripped off and I find that spending several thousand $$$ for a watch that is essentially mass produced by machines is somewhat overkill. This goes for Rolex as well as many other supposively high-end watches. It is just a profit and marketing phenomenon to give an illusion of prestege. The general public is led to believe that these watches are made in small numbers by craftman but in reality hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions are manufactured. My Jeweler is a good friend of mine and he tells me that in many cases the mark-up is several times and in this case a minimum of 100%. This is why you'll see the same watch on the internet for 40 or more percent off. Even with that discount the dealer makes a profit. Of course the manufacturer scorns this because they want to keep their high-end image. This all makes me wonder when I get a watch should I just strive for a timepiece that is extremely accurate or one with a mechanical movement (and masses produced) that I will probably have to correct the time periodically. Since the outide looks essentially the same and it keeps better time and is more rugged why not go for the quartz. I so rarely have to set my Seiko Kinetic and when I do after many months it is just a few seconds. I've gotten spoiled by the accuracy of quartz watches. I have looked into very high end watches that are made by hand but their prices are truly ridiculous. They want more than my Lexus LS430. I find it hard to fathom paying so much for such a small article. However I understand that there is tremendous wealth out there and spending $10 million for a painting, etc. is pocket change. The bottom line is that I try to be realistic in my decisions and not swayed by marketing hype.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE