The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: new 007 watch
In Response To: new 007 watch ()

Right, now pay attention, Jakeni,

I've been wearing the original Bond SMP for the last three years. I work for a watch retailer here in Australia and we just got the Special Edition in last week.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm a big Bond fan, so I was curious to see the Spec Ed in the flesh because I learned long ago that sometimes a photo in a magazine just doesn't do justice to the real thing.

Anyway, the Spec Ed is a good-looking watch and surprisingly, the 007 logo that is wall-papered all over the dial does not stand out as much as I thought it would ,based on magazine ads I've seen of the watch.If anything, the wave pattern on the original SMP tends to stand out more.

The case-back is good, with "40 Years Of James Bond" engraved along the outer edge (actually, it should have read '40 Years of James Bond IN THE CINEMA' , but that's just me being a stickler).

Now the best part- the clasp. It still has Omega Seamaster & Professional engraved on it, but it also has the 007 gun logo beneath all that. To me, that almost makes it worth the extra 700 bucks (AUD, that is).

Getting back to the dial, however. The minute markers have a steel ring around them like today's Rolex sports watches ( I know, I know, Rolex use white gold but, for this paragraph, I'm not in stickler mode) and what Omega have done is made the SuperLuminova dots inside these rings just a teeny bit smaller than the original SMP and to me it kind of throws the whole look of the dial off balance.

As I said earlier, I'm a Bond fan and that's why I have the original SMP. It's what 007 wears in the movies (yeah, he wore a Quartz model in "Goldeneye", but let's not be sticklers. It's getting late here where I am).

Jakeni, choose the one YOU like the most. They are both good and the Spec Ed looks better in real life than on paper. If I didn't have the original, I probably would get one myself. But I have other Omegas to buy. I just wish I could get my hands one one of those clasps!

Good luck deciding. Whichever you choose will be the right one.

teeritz

Messages In This Thread

new 007 watch
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE