The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Follow up with Yaeger Watch Co.

: Yaeger Watch Co. removes the serial numbers.
: When I called and asked, they at first
: evaded the question. As I see it, Internet
: Watch buying is average at best. Probably
: you can go to an authorized dealer, tell
: them the competitors' prices, and they'll
: give you a cunky discount. I did that and
: got a 38% discount.

I almost ordered my SMP Chronometer in black from an online source but decided to just go to an authorized dealer in the mall and pay the extra few hundred. They WOULD NOT BUDGE on the price. Only 20% off. More than that it cuts right into their commission so... I know this sounds insane but after hearing 9 horror stories from others who have purchased high end watches (3 Rolex, 2 Omega, Raymond Weil, Movado, Tag, and Breit) I say no to the internet when buying high end watches. Say yes when purchasing Citizens & Seikos...

A guy at the country club ordered a Rolex Submariner in blue/18k gold and you can imagine the cost of one... anyway when it arrived the serial number was gone and the watch looked "used" to him (scratches on the bracelet). The un-named internet business would not accept a return.

Another guy at the club ordered an Omega "Bond" watch and received it with serial number gone and NO WARRANTY, MANUAL or BOX!!! He wanted his money back so that he could just go to the mall and get it from an authorized dealer but the company would not return emails or phone calls.

Another guy ordered a Rolex GMT and received the wrong model (datejust instead) and he had to go as far as reporting this incident to his credit card company the BBB and State Attorney General's office. After he reported this so called company to the Attorney General they promptly sent him a refund check. This took him almost 6 months.

I have to admit not all internet wholesaler sites are a problem but you have to wonder... I almost made the mistake of ordering my Rolex Explorer II in white from on online source. The price was so low I could not believe it! But after a few days of emailing AND telephone calls my gut told me to WALK AWAY. Something was not right with the person I spoke with on the phone. The person had no knowledge of the model, unauthorized dealer, evading certain questions I had, and only would accept a US Postal Money Order or Western Union. I went to an authorized dealer and bought it from them at a premimum...

Just do your research, ask questions, and use your gut. My buddy got a VERY VERY good deal on a used Rolex Submariner on the "bay" from a private party. But again, you must be careful - this is a lot of cash we're talking about! If its sounds too good to be true, its just that. Sometimes you will find a private party that is willing to part with their high end watch for a low price because they are desperate for cash. I bought a used Mont Blanc "submariner" style watch with white face (they are generally a new watch company but could not pass the deal) at a pawn shop for $1200. The thing looked brand new. There are good deals out there you just have to look and do your "investigation"!

Good luck!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE