The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I don't know that I would go _that_ far...
In Response To: Rolex is better ()

The GMT arena of the market is one area where I actually tend to prefer the Rolex Product compared to the Omega Product. Not because of the brand name or the movement specifically, but this is one instance where I genuinely prefer the looks of the GMT-Master II for example over the Seamaster GMT.

Realize that I am an "Omega Man" I own more Omega's than any other brand of watch and own for more of them than any rational person could justify. And I don't own a single Rolex.

Truth be told for the most part I am down on Rolex. To me they seem to be a manufacturer that have ceased to innovate and is content at churning out examples of watches that have been in production for an extended length of time. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it is just that I don't see any reason to get excited about opening up a Rolex catalog when all I am going to see for the most part are the same watches they sold 5, 10, and 15 years ago. With the same movements, same features, same options as then. I don't think that the pinacle of the watchmaker's craft was achieved in the 1950's or 1960's and that there is no reason to change...

As for resale value. This is one thing that I never have been able to understand about Rolex advocates... They are always concerned about resale value. Why? Do you know something that we don't? Are you going to want to unload the watch for some reason? When I buy a watch it remains in my possession. I rarely buy a watch and then sell it or buy it with the intention of selling it. Then again the watches I buy are "keepers" not "sell-er's"...

Like I said, I prefer the looks of the Rolex offerings over the Seamaster GMT. I really like the styling of the Explorer II but I think I'd miss the rotatable bezel of the GMT II or a Seamaster GMT. For now I'm content with my Flightmaster which not only offers the GMT capability but also a chronograph...

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE