The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Stubbies & Bezels......

Hi Guys,

please let me start by saying I'm not a Seamaster 300 expert, but what I list here I KNOW is right.

The trouble now is that there are so many fakes out there, some are from the 70's & have been well used & most have genuine Omega movements in them.

Even honest dealers have a hard time telling them from the real thing.

Teeritz, yes you're correct. If you can see the line between the luminous block & the outside of the dial ( I've seen these lines referred to as Stubbies ), the dial is a fake. ( see e.g. below)

I don't agree on the bezels though. Either type of 1 is OK. David Thurgate has posted an example & here's a link to an article written by Bill Sohne.
( Bill is an Omega Moderator on another forum )

A Link to Bill's Seamaster 300 article

Bill shows an advert with the 1 with a "hook" & 2 pics of watches both showing the "straight" 1. There is NO way Bill would own/post pics of fakes. I believe both types of bezel are acceptable, but cannot say which ones were used when. I've heard rumours of Military/Civilian uses, but I'm not convinced they are right.

A couple more tips....

If it has a date window... There MUST be a "frame" around the window...
NOT like this example ( compare this to the date window in Bill Sohne's article)

I also believe that the Luminous block shouldn't "touch" the minute markers.. again compare the Luminous mark at 09:00 in the above pic with those that Bill has used.

( The above watch has 40 minutes left & is currently $395 )

Here's a great example of "stubbies"

See on the left of the luminous block 09:00 ? ( & most others!)...

This is also an example of a date window without the "frame"

(this watch has 7 hrs left & is currently 255 GBP - about $400)

Finally, the loop on the 6 & 9 should be "open". Yet again, check Bills pics with those shown above.

I'm sure there are many many more tests. But if a watch shows any of the above "features", stay away ( or make sure it's really cheap, cause probably only the movement came from an Omega factory).

I hope this helps a bit.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE