The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Skywalker seamaster - some comments
In Response To: skywalker seamaster ()

Hi Darren,

Thanks for a great story & rescuing a 70's classic.

It does sound like the dial is wrong to me.

Here's a 70's Catalogue showing the watch

And here is the example that I used to own

I don't have a catalogue featuring the Darth Vader ( Black version), but the various pics that I have seen all show 2 red subdials & 1 black one.

If you want to send me your photos, I'll host & post them for you.

I think the inner Bezel should be white, it probably migrates to cream over the years.

Changing the case is a no brainer. Go fo it.
Changing the dial is also a no brainer. ( assuming the old one is wrong... However, I have seen prototypes that have been sold - stranger things have happened )

So, what left? the hands, the inner bezel & the crystal. I think it would make sense to put a new inner bezel in there too. ( personal opinion coming up ) I find it a shame when the entire watch looks like new except one or two small details.

Watchco list an inner bezel for the Anakin for $55 AUS ( about 22 quid + postage & possibly import duties ) - Again E-mail me if you need more info.

Obviously, someone will now say/think "Ahh but the watch is no longer original". Sure, but it has been restored using original parts. So, IMHO you either go the "whole hog" & do everything or do nothing.

If I were you, I'd buy the parts then decide if/when I could afford the rebuild.

Checking the eBay prices, I see that some Anakins are fetching upto $1600 US & other are struggling way under $1000. I'm sure a 100% mint Anakin could get more than those prices ( especially in a dealers window ) It all depends on the presentation, condition & location.

The UK is a great location. It's in Europe, so saves import duty for the European buyers & is treatd as a "trusted" country by most Americans ( unlike Nigeria, Phillipines or Canada ... one of those was a joke guys ).

The condition will be amazing after the work is done.

& presentation. Well that's up to you ( & your camera )

I'm not sure I agree on the comparison to PloProfs & 321's.

PloProfs seem to be selling in the $2000 - $4500 range now

& 321's... well they START at about $1500,( but to be honest at that price they are not good )

Another point to think about, is that if you get the work done, the watch will have a full service & probably some guarantee on it. This will also increase the value ( should you want to sell it ) or at least give you some peace of mind ( if you keep it )

I'd love to see the Before & After pics. ( As you might guess, I'd do the work )

All the Best

Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE