The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Additional thoughts to Steves suggestions & 2 more

I have a couple - C'mon guys plug your watchmaker

Posted By: SteveW62

Date: 3/23/07 06:48 GMT

In Response To: Kids dropped my Constellation--US repair ideas? (allen st. john)

Hi Allen,

I'm sorry to here of your misfortune. Trying to look at the positive side, it WILL now get a service :-)

I have used Jack at IWW for some watch work. Jack is a huge forum favourite & I have NEVER read a bad word about him or his work.

Here's a link to Jack's homepage

While I have not used Jack for watchmaking work, I have used him for PVD work (as has Steve)... Here is a post from our sister Heuer forum about Jack's PVD work:
Peter Cohen and his PVD Pasadena odessy...

The results speak for themselves and I have no reservations in recommending Jack for watch work.

The second is a watchmaker that Chuck has spoken highly of. Shane Ede. Shane is in Canada ( so not exactly in USA ) BUT if Chuck send his watches there ..... I think that speaks volumes.

Here's a link to Shane's webpage

I can't really comment on the prices, so a couple of quick phone calls may be needed.

I'd be happy to include further thoughts on Shane from my email referral form:
http://watch-repairs.net/ ... Shane came highly recommended to me by a couple of fellow collectors that I respect, so I recently (September 2003) sent him two chronographs to work on, a Certina 7750 and a Mistral Timing Lemania 5100, he called me a week and a half later to say the watches were done and ready to ship out for a shipped cost of $300 US for the pair. Which I feel is pretty reasonable all in all. He stripped them down, cleaned them, did the necessary repairs, reassembled and tested them. He said that he had worked on them for the better part of two and a half days. Now this is my first experience with Shane, but I had a very good experience with him.

A couple of things about Shane... Since he is in Canada, be sure to ask him how to send the watch in order to avoid customs hassles. Second, he doesn't even own a computer, so you will have to call him and talk with him personally, his number is on the web page that I linked you to. Third, he's a talker, on your dime or his, he likes to talk which is very refreshing in a watchmaker. He's a real down to earth guy who's a pleasure to work with.

Tell Shane I sent you!

Be aware that the site which hosts Shane's contact information sometimes goes down. I've created a near-mirror of that site on my site (with both Shane and Richarde's permission) on my site and it's located here...

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/shane-ede.html

I'm also not sure what the watchmaker will be able to say with 100% certainty, without seeing the watch first.

I hope this helps a bit.

I'd also be happy to recommend my local (to me) watchmaker... Watchmaker Dave...

Watchmaker Dave...

Watchmaker Dave is accomplished enough of a watchmaker where Rolex USA has farmed out work to him in the past. Which speaks volumes. He's a straight shooter and will be upfront and honest with you when it comes to what something might cost and weither it's worth the money/effort or not.

The other thing you might find fascinating about Watchmaker Dave... Or actually his website... It's hosted on an Apple II computer!!! Not a Mac Plus (a 20+ year old computer) but an even earlier Apple II which is pretty amazing!

Finally, I've not used them personally for any of my watches, but I've never ever heard of anything but the most positive of praise for the work of Roland Murphy...

RGM Watch Company

You might want to contact them as well.

& finally, if you decide NOT to get it repaired, please either put the watch in eBay, on a watch forum or in a drawer for your kids, in the future. Please don't throw it away, there is probably a Constellation fan out there looking for exactly this model.

Absotively! Posolutely! And HEAR HEAR! Even as a parts watch these vintage pieces have value.

Steve

Hope these thoughts and links are helpful/useful. Bookmark them for future reference!
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE