The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I agree they're exciting, but priced beyond me...

"Spacemaster" and Hour Vision Models Posted By: Kelly Mackey Date: 4/5/07 07:23 GMT

In Response To: You, me & a lot of other Omega Customers... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

So [with my 50th Anniversary model] we'd end up with a 50th Anniversary "Proto/Alaska" model, with c.910 AM/PM indication and GMT hand [and external rotatable 12/24 bezel], available in both Stainless and Titanium (if Omega wants to do Gold that's fine too), with a 100m W/R case with underwater pusher operability. At least that model would be worth the $1,500 extra Omega's charging for the 50th anniversary Moonwatch patern watch.

Then, if the watch proves successful, Omega can "tweak" it slightly, rename it "Spacemaster" and keep it as part of the regular product line (perhaps in black dial too].

What do you think?

I think I'd buy the Spacemaster! I wish you were the one calling the shots at Omega.

I am available on the job front. I may not be free, but at least I am reasonable.

First off, neither I nor anyone outside of Omega/Swatch Group knows what the MSRP is going to be on the Hour Vision models. But I would expect them to be VERY EXPEN$IVE INDEED. I'm guessing that an MSRP in the $8,000~10,000 range fpr the Stainless Steel models are not out of the question

I should mention that I've talked to several Authorized Dealers and this is their impression/guess too. If you look at Omega's current pricing scheme for ETA Based Co-Axial models, and put this new In-House movement, with sapphire display back and sapphire side windows where one would expect those features to to sit within Omega's structure, one ends up in this territory.

Yikes! Do you know if the new calibres are going to be used in only the Hour Vision models? I'm hoping that they use the 8500 calibre in a Seamaster 300 and price it below the Rolex Submariner.

Omega has BIG plans for this model... Here is the list from the Press Trip Report I linked to yesterday:
MEN's OMEGA:
- Annual Calendar, Calibre 8601 and 8611
- Day/Date, Calibre 8602 and 8612
- Big Date, Calibre 8603 and 8613
- Power Reserve/Small Seconds, Calibre 8604 and 8614
- GMT, Calibre 8605 and 8615
- 14 lignes Chronographs, calibre 9300 and 9301
WOMEN's OMEGA:
- Automatic Chronometer, Calibre 8520 and 8521
- Annual Calendar, calibre 8621 and 8631
- Big Date, calibre 8623 and 8633
- Power Reserve/Small Seconds, Calibre 8624 and 8634
More exciting complications are of course possible after 2010.

It's my understanding from sitting in on one of these dealies myself [shhhhh! don't tell anyone!] that Omega plans on bringing out at least one of these complications a year between now and 2010~2011 timeframe. We all know how long it took Omega to actually ship the Rattrapante and Split-Seconds versions of the F.Piguet chronographs projected: 18~24 months, actual, nearly 5 years.

It'll be interesting to watch, but I expect to be watching the action (what there is of it) from the sidelines. I doubt I and many current customers will be active participants in the purchase of these models, if MSRP's are what I and the AD's I've talked with expect them to be.

The new complications are exciting, but I'll be watching from the sidelines too if the MSRP is in the $8000 - $10,000 range. These prices are out of my league.

Actually, that range is what more than one AD told me what they figured the MSRP range would be without them knowing my guess (which happened to be that range).

But for arguments sake, lets entertain the notion that those of us are guessing are off by say $2,000 off of the low side and the MSRP is [for argument's sake] $6,000 for the steel model. That is a lot of money for a brand new three hand [time] and date only watch.

Another thing to consider... By the time Omega complete's it's next round of AD contraction, Goodly discounts off of MSRP will nearly certainly be fond memories of the past. Why? When there are 25-30% of the AD's where you can buy an Omege, and a goodly chunk of those are Chains (Jared's comes to mind) or either partially owned [Tourneau] or owned entirely by Omega [Omega Botiques] there will be less pressure or need to discount.

Even if the Hour Vision's MSRP for substancially cheaper than what the expectation is, they are way off of even my remote interest RADAR. Even at $5,000 or $6,000 USD MSRP that's BIG money for a three hand [time] + date watch. I've only bought one non-chronograph Omega, one of the White Dial Seamaster GMT's bought at substancial discount for $1,600 last year right after Omega discontinued that model. That is a stretch for this Chronograph-Addict. Pricing a non-chrono at even $6k would be like MSRP pricing a steel chronograph at $12,000~18,000... At those prices my mind turns to vintage or used Daytona's not Omega's.

That's just how my wallet votes.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE