The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: I do agree with your assessment, but?

I do agree with your assessment, but? Posted By: CajunMike Date: 4/5/07 15:43 GMT

In Response To: You, me & a lot of other Omega Customers... .bis (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

The Broad Arrow "1957", I believe is somewhere in the $5500 range, give or take.

I believe in one of my most recent phone conversations with Keith's AD that the number $5300 or $5400 was mentioned.

Again, Im not questioning the AD about the pricing,

I'm more astounded/skeptical about what Dunk3 reported are the actual MSRP for these models than I am about the movement [and the prices seem to be what the folks in the know in the US are thinking].

just the speculation that it is an F.Piguet movement.

[scratches furrled brow]

I thought the table I included in my previous note would have underscored why I strongly suspect the LE model is based on a "rotor-less/non-Self-Winding" version of the c.33xx (the c.3313 specifically).

I know that Omega doesn't have a c.321 "spec sheet" in the same format as their 50th Anniversary numbered LE and Broad Arrow models. I could try to find out information on the Lemania 2310/2320 [perhaps Georges has a line on that information] and try to cobble together a table comparing a Lemania 2310/2320 or at least my interpetation of how Omega might present a 2310/2320], and the 50th Anniversary numbered LE. But would that really be useful?

So, its just hard for me to believe that a non auto version of the Cal 33xx could just have been slapped with an LE tag at nearly double the price.

This is what I was saying above... I'm more skeptical about Dunk3 AD's MSRP reports (even though they seem to be what Yank AD's believe than I am about the base movement for the c.3201 in the 50th Numbered LE.

I mean, what are you getting for your money? Nothing at all.

You're getting the first manual wind, Column wheel movement Omega has shipped [ok, not counting the 5100 which arguably is a column wheel movement [see the sidebar below]] since 1968. And the first manual-wind Co-Axial Movement Chronograph ever offered to the public [except maybe by George Daniels himself]

Sidebar: Lemania 5100... Column Wheel or Lever Cam movement?
[Content borrowed from Velociphile's Blog...] [ Short exerpt follows... ]

[Snip]

Now 'column wheel' is considered 'the best'. My question is what is the definition? It's certainly got to be a rotary device rather than to-and-fro. It requires high points and voids to guide the movement of the different levers which press a column or fall in a void. So, does the rotary device at 11 o'clock in the picture below qualify as a column wheel?

Lemania 5100: Column wheel at 11 0'clock or rotary cam?

For the record, I'm not saying the 5100 is or is not a Column Wheel, but the question is an interesting one. What is the definative definition? I don't know.

Most of the LE models I have seen usually cost what, maybe a grand more at the most?

If that, unless there is something unique about them. This movement may seem unique enough for Omega to want to try to get more money for them.

Yes, the similarities to the cal 33xx are duly noted, and Im sure most everyone has the same conclusion, and you are probably right,

I would think the chances of it being either a] a reworked Lemania 2310/2320, or b] a completely new F.P movement [and not a manual wind variant of the c.33xx [specifically the c.3313]] to be as low as I mentioned in my previous message. The only other "c]" option is that it's something else, meaning not a Lemania 2310/2320 or a F. Piguet model. I personally don't know what it could be. Certainly not a Zenith or a Rolex movement, what other options are there?

as I am certainly not even a novice watch enthusiast.

No, you are absolutely not a novice at this Mike. I respect "your chops".

But lets just suppose Omega went through the trouble for the LE to resurrect the cal 321.

OK, this is a "just suppose"... Let's remember that one would have to increase the Power Reserve up from the 40-44 Hour level to 55 Hours, and adapt the base movement for the Daniel's Co-Axial Escapement. That is a lot of trouble, and I'd guess expense for a 2,128 LE run.

But that expense might begin to account for the exceedingly high MSRP, if it is a Lemania 2310/2320 re-engineered to specs which so closely resemble as the c.3313.

Maybe, just maybe they will continue to use the 321 as the future offering for the astronauts.

Is it possible? Sure, I suppose in a world where the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey team beats the Soviets in the Olympics, yes. I suppose it's more possible than a Bears-Cardinals Super Bowl.

But the questions about this “New c.321” offering for NASA and the astronauts again are:

• Does Omega want to rock the boat at NASA with certifing the new timepiece?
  • How much would that cost?
  • Isn't NASA's budget tight enough already?
  • Would Omega pay for that?
  • Is NASA unhappy with the current moonwatch?
  • Would NASA want the exact feature set ( Co-Axial and the greater power reserve) as this model or would they want additional features? [Like Auto-wind, date, 24-hour indication, etc.]

I don't know the answers to those questions but I'd guess/wager the answer to all of them would likely be no. But that's my guess/wager.

Well, all the speculation is giving me a headache.

Forguately, I haven't suffered headaches over this, at least not yet.

We will most certainly find out in the next few days.

Yup.

With that being said, would you consider paying $10 grand/ $7 grand with discounts for a LE 321 with coaxial escapement?

[If I could get that level of discount...] answers:

If the movement inside is a rotorless F. Piguet basemovement: No way.

If the movement inside is a re-worked Lemania 2310/2320 with a Co-Axial Escapement and 55 hour power-reserve: Much more likely, but I still would guess the chances are fairly low that I would spend that much on a new watch. The most I've ever spent on any watch is under $3500 [although I have bid up to $4,000 several times on watches on eBay, just wasn't the high bidder]. $7k is double my current high-point. At that [$7k USD Street] price, it puts a Stainless Steel Rolex Daytona on the game board, and I'd have to think long and hard about making that choice if I were to decide to spend that much money on a watch.

Another thing to consider would be that this updated/upgraded Lemania 2310/2320 would be largely untried, we'd have no idea as to it's reliability. And if it's a "FP Refit" I know about it's reliability... At least the current Rolex Daytona movement has proven to be a steady performer after their initial bugs were quashed.

However, at that $7k Street price, as the W.O.P.R./Joshua was known to say:

Would seem to me to be a little high, but not outrageous.

If it is an updated/upgraded Lemania 2310/2320 I'll agree with that statement... A little high but not [totally] outrageous.

It's still priced well above my wallet/bank account's comfort zone though.

That's just how my wallet votes.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE