The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

It's Here: a nice Speedy Pro for under a grand *LINK*

My new-old Speedy Pro arrived by Fed Ex, and I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks so much for the advice and info.

It's a really nice mid-1970s Speedmaster Pro, exciting for me, but old hat for many of you except...
I paid $823 plus shipping, no pay pal fees. It was on that auction site closing on Sunday.
The pics were informative, but not flattering.
The description was accurate, but cursory.
The opening bid was kinda high at $750.
The sellers feedback was good, and plentiful, and he sold watches, mostly pocket watches.

It didn't take much sniping to win this one.

Chuck and Steve and said it looked legit, but the case might be a little rough.

Not so. What might have been rust on the caseback and around the lugs in the pics was basically wearer's mung. Most of the paint in the "Man on the Moon" engraving is gone, but I actually like it better that way.
The bezel? A little saliva and a wipe on my shirt and it goes from "okay" to "near mint."
The crystal? A couple of minor scratches, but I'll have to beat it up way more before it needs to be replaced.
The bracelet is full sized and while it's got a few scratches on the clasp, it's much better than I expected.
The dial's very pretty and clean with nicely aged tritium.

Overall, there are a few little dings and scraches on the watch, but it presents nicely. Like it's been worn a bit. Which is what I intend do do with it. In a certain way, I like this one better than a minty 321, becuase I'm more likely to put it on without worrying about another ding.

So has the under-a-grand Speedy Pro gone the way of the passenger pigeon? Nope. If you get a perfect storm of a nice watch with unflattering photos, a high initial bid, ending at midnight on Easter Sunday. But I'll take it.

Off to the local jewlery store to have the bracelet adjusted (just the clasp, probably, no link removal needed, I think.)

thanks
Allen

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE