The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Nice collection

bought it about 20 years ago (but it was never wore and always kept in the box) yet it emerged with tanished, brownish hands.

Well, more than likely, the hands had Tritium on them or some type of paint. Tritium will always brown up after 12 years or so. Same with even today's material, superluminova. It will age regardless of what you do.

If this is not the case, then yes the watch probably got moisture in it. Personally, I dont buy watches to keep them in a box, but I would think that dessicants would help with long term storage, and it might not be a bad idea to check on the watch every now and again.

And you might mention to the woman that if she got moisture in the dial, more than likely the movement may have some damage as well and needs to be serviced.

Watches are kind like cars, you can't just put them in a box for 20 years and not expect something wrong with it when you fire it up again. At the very least watches that have been stored a long time need to be checked and serviced.

Enjoy your watches and by all means wear them, its what they were meant for. Oh, and if you are looking for a gold Speedmaster, there is one currently on the Time Zone showcase sales corner. Its a white gold speedmaster professional moon phase. Its a beautiful watch.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE