The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Seamaster 300M Quartz or Automatic?

: Is there a quality advantage to either a quartz
: or automatic watch? I've tried to research
: the pros and cons of each, but I'm still not
: sure...
: Quartz seems to require less service - Per
: Omega specs, the quartz should have regular
: service every other battery change (how long
: does a battery last?) and the auto should be
: serviced every five years.
: The quartz is more accurate (however a few
: seconds either way doesn't matter to me).
: The quartz is rated to 5000 G's for shock
: resistance. Omega doesn't rate the auto.
: The quartz is several hundred dollars less.
: Do automatics maintain more of their value?
: Any info is appreciated.

I've had a mechanical SMP (Bond style) for three years now. At the time of purchase I considered quartz also, since I want my watch to be accurate.
On the other hand, I like mechanical things, the camera I take most my pictures is mechanical etc. Mechanical is more expensive than the quartz. Eventually maybe the decisive factor was the seconds hand. I watched several quartz examples and maybe in one of five the seconds hand landed on the line it should land. The automatic with sweeplike motion was much more pleasant to look and also easier to measure small time intervals, a few seconds.
Eventually happened so that the one I got has been more accurate than any quartz timepiece I have ever had. Since mechanical typically runs at different speeds in different positions it has been possible for me to stop the watch only when necessary to change to daylight saving time and back. Most of the time my SMP is within plus minus three seconds from time signal and never outside plus minus 15 seconds.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE