The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Yesterday was WAT watch day

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I left the house at 07:00 yesterday & got home around 23:00 - so had no time to post :-(

This weeks Acronym is

Wednesdays Auction Topic.

But since today is Thursday I suppose it should be TAT or how about WAT TAT ? :-)

OK, onto the Auction.

it's for an ( & I use the sellers description here ) Authentic OMEGA SPEEDMASTER Pre-MOON Cal 321 PROFESSION

Here are some of his pics... ( grab them before they disappear )

As you can see it has ( what is left of ) a pre-moon back, without the usual moon landing engraving.

The markings on the inside of the case back show it to be a 145.012-68

& it is clearly a 321 movement ( which is not in great condition & just look at those markings on the case, around the outside of the movement ! )

Here's the bracelet buckle.

It looks like a genuine 7912 bracelet.

That's probably all the good points for the watch...

What about the bad points.

Condition - everything is in somewhat poor condition.

Dates - ages ... '68 case back, '64 buckle, the centre second hand looks a lot newer than the rest of the watch & the hour/minute hands have black "stems" ( ie at the pivot end ) - these were never fitted to a Speedy Pro.

If you are unsure about the bracelet, look at the top left picture above... the bracelet is a LOT narrower than the case lugs. The bracelet is WAY older than the watch & was only ever fitted on "straight lugged" watches.

Now look at the picture of the case back. See any marking on the bracelet end pieces ? - Nope they are not from Omega.

& finally the thing that makes the watch MOST interesting for me is the Bezel. Have you ever seen Tachimetre spelled with an "I" before ( on a Speedy ) I have never seen a bezel like this before. The "BASE 1000" marking usually indicate an older bezel ( & this bezel is certainly not new ). I would love to know if this is a rarity or just an old fake bezel.

Was it worth the end price ? Before Omegamania I'd have said definately NOT. But now.... The bracelet is worth quite a bit on its own, the movement could be worth a lot if it cleaned up. I'd say the case is OK, but nothing special. The case back is just about wrecked & the rest is a bit more than scrap.

As Seismic Sam would say " A real Jackalope"

What did you see in eBay this week ?

S.

Messages In This Thread

Yesterday was WAT watch day
Re: Yesterday was WAT watch day
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE