The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: All sorts of questions...thanks CajunMike!

: Thanks Cajun Mike for the response. Now I can
: stop worrying!

No problem, glad to be of service

: I do have a couple other questions for you or
: anyone else. Where do you go to buy genuine
: Omega products such as OEM watch bands,
: cleaning tools, spare parts and promotional
: stuff? I tell you what I want...I want that
: rubber/neoprene black divers band for the
: watch(2254.50.00) the case opener that's
: made just for my watch, a good cleaning kit
: for scratches and overall cleaning( I heard
: that a medium grade Satin Finsih bar from TZ
: tools is the way to go instead of the
: Scoth-Brite pads) and an embroidered hat or
: a shirt would be cool to show off my new
: purchase...yes that's cheesy but I love my
: watch!

The only place I can think of is ofrei.com for the oem parts and tools. You might also try an authorized dealer. As for the promotional items, no idea. Ebay might have some items

I also would like to know how long it
: takes Omega to get back to you when you send
: them a question or two. I sent them an
: e-mail asking about the manufacture date of
: my watch and to also make sure that it is
: indeed an original Omega be sending them the
: serial number off of the case. I haven't
: heard back from them and it's been almost a
: month.

Unfortunately sometimes you may never hear back from them. Try again. You may also want to order the cosc certificate for the watch. Send an email to the aftersales department on the website. You will need to send them a photo or scan of the warranty card and cosc card. If the watch is over 5 years old, they may not have the certificate any more

Two last questions that I know at
: least one has been addressed before in
: earlier posts but how tight should I tighten
: the crown and helium escape valve? I have
: tightened mine pretty tight by hand. This
: shouldn't hurt the seals or threads should
: it?

I would say to moderately tighten both. If you have to strain to open the crown, then you probably tightned too much. Also, on the HE valve, leave it closed permanently. Its of no use unless you are doing deep depth saturation diving

What modifications does Omega perform to
: the base ETA 2892 before they put it into
: the Seamaster and call it the 1120?

From Time Zones Omega FAQ section:

How does Omega modify the ETA base movement for use in this watch?

In addition to polishing the components and adding the Geneve Wave decor, Omega replaces the rotor with an Omega Specific (only) rotor that rides on a small ball bearing. They change the automatic bridge with a their own gear-train and endshake corrector. Which in turn, reduces the height difference between the auxiliary reverser and rotor. This also allows the oscillating weight's gear to mesh more precisely with the click wheel. This modification reduces the rotor's play during movement, and also prevents friction against the plate. On a standard ETA ebauche, a metal seating is used to hold the barrel in place. Omega replaces that, and uses two jewels to hold the barrel in place. This improves the constancy of the force flow and ultimately produces a more accurate movement, and adds about 2 hours to the power reserve. And to top all that off, add pure gold inlaid engraving for the writing.

I find
: myself staring at my watch at work in
: fascination of the workmanship invloved in
: making it and want to learn as much as I
: can. One last question...what really makes
: my watch worth $2000.00. I mean you can buy
: many nice watches for much, much less. Why
: is an Omega so expensive? Why is an Omega
: worth more than say a Tag or a Tissot?

Your watch is worth $2000 because frankly that was what you were willing to pay for it or simple supply/demand. Any $10 quartz will keep better time than your Omega, so clearly time keeping is not the reason you bought the watch. Omega pricing is like any other jewelry item. There is a significant markup over cost. The watch cost maybe $400 in total to make(if that even). The rest is Omega brand prestige, market presence, etc. "fluff", and some minor items such as water resistance, movement type, COSC certification, etc. For example, compared to Tissot, Omega for the SMP uses a base calber of ETA 2892, then heavily modifies it. I believe Tissot uses more ETA 2824, without much modification. The cost difference for the movement alone is maybe $200 or so, so one would expect to pay more for this "upgrade". But to pay 3-4x more, goes back to the "fluff" thing.

: Thanks all for your help and advice!

Happy to assist

: HightechJunkie

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE