The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

What attracted you to Omega and to (mechanical) watches?

I am always interested in why collectors and enthusiasts first became fascinated by:

1) watches;
2) mechanical watches; and
3) specifically Omega.

I was always interested in watches, and as I came of age in the electronic era, quartz "gadget watches" were some of the first I owned. My family did not have a history of fine mechanical timepieces, so my watch history started with me. The first ones didn't make it out of my teen years and twenties, and in accordance with their cost and the practices of the day, when a battery change didn't fix it, out they went.

Here are two of the watches I have owned the longest. This Seiko is still one of the more practical and attractive of the designs of the late 1980s.

The watch I have owned the longest is the Certina, with a ETA quartz movement still sold today. I purchased this watch in 1982 or 1983, shortly after I got a "real job".

Watches were (and are) the most prominent accessory a man has. Before cell phones had calendar features and before PDAs came on the scene, I went through a couple of watch-based alarm/calendar/reminder/to-do list "solutions". Some were really ugly.

This one was marginally practical and at least wasn't what Chuck Maddox referred to as a "CBP" (cheap black plastic) watch.

Later, I moved to a less arduous entry method. This watch worked with Microsoft Outlook and would download appointments, birthdays, to-dos and contacts by displaying bar codes on the screen. The circular dot on the watch face at 12 is a bar code reader!

Cool technology, but not very efficient and limited. Then I got a cell phone and PDA, then a PDA with a cellphone . . . my wrist was freed up for timekeeping and more traditional looks.

Then I rediscovered mechanicals . . . . and shortly thereafter, vintage, and then chronographs.

I had slept as a child with a Big Ben wind up alarm clock, which was an incredibly loud ticker (and alarm). The sound of a mechanical watch held to my ear brought back a flood of memories. While I still have quartz, mechanicals are my strong preference.

Why Omega? Accessibility and history

1) Omega is accessible because they produced lots of watches for a long time.
2) Omega is accessible because they produced almost every complication and used every technology at some point in their history.
3) Omega is accessible because the watches are among the least expensive for the quality of product.
4) Omega is accessible because there is more information available about vintage Omegas than any brand I know of (despite Jeff Stein's amazing efforts on Heuer).

Few watch companies have the history and often dominance that Omega did for over 160 years.

What watch matched this in the 1950s

and in the 1940s

and there are examples from every decade in the 20th century -- and some from the 19th

Few watch companies produce icons

That has existed for 50 years, with only incremental changes

That's my story . . . . so, the question(s) of the day:

-- why do you like watches?
-- why manuals/automatics/tuning forks/kinetic quartz/quartz, what is your preference?
-- why Omega?

Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE