The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: WorldWatches not honouring warranties before April 2008

: I purchased an Omega Seamaster Chronometer from Worldwatches.com in
: April 2007, with at 2 year warranty. The watch is now running
: slow, and I'm trying to get it fixed. I contacted Worldwatches
: from their website, and was told that the domain name changed
: hands in April 2008, and that the new owners will not honour any
: warranties issues before that date. They provide a fax number
: for the previous owners (in LA) but as yet I have received
: nothing back from that number.

: The WorldWatches website states the following "We've been in
: business since 1998 and served thousands of online customers. We
: take pride in our business as well as our relationship with our
: customers. Your satisfaction is what has made WorldWatches.com a
: success over the past 10 years"

: This is clearly fraudulent. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE

I'll assume that as Omega clearly states their watches are not sold on the internet, that Worldwatches.com is or was not an Omega authorized dealer.

You took a risk by purchasing from a "gray market" dealer. Sometimes risks pay off, sometimes they do not. Sorry your risk did not work out for you. Fortunately, the watch may only need a COA or regulation, obtainable from any competent watchmaker at a fairly nominal charge. If you have warranty cards and unblemished serial numbers, you may even be able to get Omega to service the watch.

Unfortunately, there is nothing fraudulent in the sale of a website name to a new company. Your warranty was with a corporate entity that most likely sold only the website name to a new company. The warranty was not provided by a website name. "Website name" does not equal "Company", as you have sorrowfully come to understand. However, the website's claim to continuous operation is somewhat deceptive . . . . although their disclosure that they do not honor previous warranties makes the change in ownership pretty obvious.

I am reminded of a very muscular and not so bright friend of mine who purchased 4 different "lifetime memberships" to the same health club operated by four different companies that came to own the equipment in a particular (rented) location. I don't think he ever realized that the important and much shorter "lifetime" was that of the company, not his lifetime. The sad thing is a warranty is only as good, and as long-lived, as the company (corporate entity) granting it.

Examine the documentation of the warranty and see who actually provided the warranty. Check the registration information for the state of incorporation and se if you can get an additional name, address or phone.

Good luck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE