The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: questions about the Seamaster Pro Chronometer

: 1) what will it take to scratch the synthetic
: sapphire crystal? not that I want to, but I
: would like to know the crystals tolerance
: level...

I've had the Bond SMP for 4 years. My occupation is such that I give my watch hard knocks on heavy equipment 3 or 4 times every week, and I've yet to scratch it (the sapphire crystal is not supposed to scratch, but rather shatter if hit too hard...can't prove it by me).

: 3) If I buy the watch in New York but live in
: Singapore, will I have to pay for
: servicing/maintenance at an authorized
: dealer in Singapore or should I ship my
: watch back to the authorized dealer I
: purchased it from in New York?

Derek can verify this, but I'm fairly sure that if you have the paperwork on the watch to show that it's in warranty, and was purchased from an authorized dealer, it makes no monetary difference which authorized repair facility you use.

: 4) Do the seals really have to be checked every
: year?

Probably only if you actually use the watch for diving (although most jewelers who have the equipment will do the test for free or at a nominal fee). I get mine checked (on this and previous watches) every couple or three years.

: 5) Is soap really that harmful to this watch?
: Can I wash my hands with it on?

My occupation also requires that I handwash 40-50 times per shift. I don't intentionally allow soap to run on the watch, but I don't get bent if some should (simply rinse it off well). Detergent lowers the surface tension of a liquid, and theorectically could allow fluid in past the seals, but I suspect you'd have to wash dishes for a living (highly unlikely for someone with an Omega !) in order for this to present any real danger. I use dish detergent and COLD to WARM water (never HOT) to wash my Bond every 2-3 weeks.

Running plain water over the watch, by the way, will make the bezel turn easier for a number of hours (the bezel is designed to be used under water, after all).

Messages In This Thread

questions about the Seamaster Pro Chronometer
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE