The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: SMP Quartz... (long)
In Response To: SMP Quartz ()

Despite all the hype from the "purists" about the "great tradition" of the "mechanical" watch, the plain, simple, unvarnished truth is that a quartz watch is way, way, way more accurate than a mechqnical watch, easier (and vastly cheaper) to maintain than a mechanical, and way less prone to movement damage from shock to the watch (the Omega SMP is rated at withstanding 5000g's of shock without harm).

I know this statement will probably cause a firestorm of protests, but it's the truth. I had a SMP autowind that I loved (even though this $1000+ watch gained 5-10 seconds a day from the very beginning and never got "broken in") until it started gaining 45 SECONDS/DAY; this, of course, happened 2 months after the Omega warranty expired. One trip to the repair facility in Pennsylvania, I think it was, one trip all the way back to the factory in Switzerland, hundreds of dollars, and months of waiting, and I still had a watch that gained 45 seconds each and every day, and Omega apparently couldn't/wouldn't do anything to remedy the situation.

I finally traded it in on a Submariner, which I really never liked (although it was accurate within 5-6 seconds a month). Then I came across this site, found out that the Bond SMP came in a quartz, and immediately traded "up" to one (the difference I got back from the trade paid for a semester of tuition at college, which wasn't bad either). I have been on cloud nine ever since. I do not think you'll ever be disappointed from going this route.

Good Luck

P.S. I'm not knocking the guys and gals that love mechanicals, I love old clocks and pocket watches too, but I want a watch on my wrist that I can depend on.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE