The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: SMP Quartz... (long)
In Response To: Re: SMP Quartz... (long) ()

Sounds like you may have gotten hold of a watch that slipped through the cracks. My Bond SMP auto is performing quite well. At just over 9 months old it still performs at -2 sec per week. Obviously, this is a watch I can depend on.

I have an automatic Seiko diver which performs pretty well also, but not quite as good as the SMP.

I think there is a place for quartz, and the price difference is certainly something to consider if you are on a budget. Still, not to bash quartz, I think quartz watches just drone along. They have no real personality and always act in the same way unless the battery is low on power. Plus, I hate the jerky, jumping second hands on quartz watches.

Also while it is true that a quartz watch is much less expensive to maintain, I think they are extremely overpriced. I wonder what the movement actually costs. The SMP bracelet is roughly $400. Somehow I don't think the quartz movement makes up the rest of the price. The engineering and artistry which goes into the mechanical movement is a better buy for this reason alone, IMHO.

But ultimately, you should buy the watch that makes you happy and it sounds as if you did just that.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE