The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: For some reason................

IMHO, I just feel some high end watch manuf. want to keep their watches from becoming K-mart/Wal mart products. They have to maintain some kind of high quality/integrity. Sell cheap, and anyone can sell your product. Omega wants to move their product like anyone else, but MUST maintain that "high end" stature. No problem... No matter where I purchase my watch, I don't want everyone I know, to own the same watch I have. (kinda part of the glamour of owning it in the first place, and unfortunatly cost comes into play).

This goes for EVERY watch manufacturer that have watches selling in the "grey" Mkt. I assume that Omega is moving their products at higher volume because of "grey", and as long as they don't refuse to work on their product (after sale), I have no problem with buying "grey".

I wonder if Omega is selling more watches because of the fairly new internet/grey market. As long as the integrity/quality of their watches is maintained, I don't feel Omega minds the higher volume.

I don't think Omega (or any watch manuf.) would ever refuse to work on one of their products just because it was "grey" after a year or so (and out of warranty anyway). It still is one of their products, and they have to maintain the integrity of their product after the sale, no matter how it was purchased by the consumer. Refusal to work on their own product would be a serious blow to the company's name and intergity, especially nowadays with the internet. It would only end up hurting the consumer. Who would buy a watch (no matter how) from a manuf. that doesn't stand behind their product, even after years? Personaly, I don't feel Omega minds having the grey mkt. in the picture. Could be wrong though. Probably a political/contract issue. Just a thought,...........

Omega rules!

: every authorized dealer would tell you that internet dealers
: are not authorized, so they don't have original warranty,
: and Omega won't do service on it. They forgot one minute
: ago they just promise you that Omega is a very very
: reliable watch, they never see any one back with problem on
: it. Ironic, isn't it? very very reliable vs. one year (many
: restriction)warranty?

: Besides, Omega don't allow anybody open the watch before they
: can service it (dring the warranty), so all dealer can do
: is to send it to Omega if it has any problem. which you can
: do it by yourself.

: I think the gray market confusion really was created by Omega
: itself due to lack of control of its distribution system
: and price. Why couldn't cut the list price and give dealer
: (ultimately the end user) the "real" price? Why
: couldn't have a single one global distributing price?

: Also,there are too many Omega authorized dealers out there, I
: don't know how easy to get the approval of becoming an
: authorized Omega dealer. Simply too easy, I think. No
: surprise where gray market get their Omegas.

: Therefore, refusal of servising the watches sold on gray
: market is the most irresponsible action of Omega. It
: doesn't hurt gray market, it only hurt end useres who spent
: quite a sum on their product.

: this is just my POV.

: best regards

: simon

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE