The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Same Thing Happened to Me
In Response To: wow thanks for the warning... ()

last time I listed something for sale on ebay, I received an e-mail message asking me how much it would cost to ship the item to California. the message appeared to come through the ebay messaging system (with all the graphics), and appeared to be genuine. (I wondered why a guy in California would be asking about the price of shipping, but was not otherwise suspicious.) So I hit the yellow button to reply, and it took me to the ebay log-in screen. I logged-in to ebay and two seconds later, I looked at the URL and realized that I was on some other server (not ebay). I had just logged in, and in the process given my log-in information to this crook, so I switched computers, logged into ebay, and changed my password.

I reported this to ebay, they confirmed that it was a spoof / crook. their recommendation was to reply to "ebay messages" only through the ebay messaging system (which appears on "My Ebay"), but this can be cumbersome.

the lesson here -- be very careful with messages that appear to be coming through the ebay messaging system, just as you are careful with all the phishing messages that you get from yoru bank, the credit card companies, etc.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: now that is a well thought out way of doing it
: that would have caught most careful people
: out.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE