The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Slippery Slope
In Response To: Slippery Slope ()

I know that no one needs to come to the defense of Jeff because his honor and ethics are of the highest standard, therefore I will just address the question of Jim, which concerns the possibility of the Forum becoming a commerical enterprise. To be well informed you must point out any fakes, frauds or questionable Heuer to keep a individaul (collector or non collector) from being defrauded. At the same time it is a service to the Heuer Collectors to present rare and unusual Heuer that are of great interest whether in a collection or a auction. As was the case with the McLaren Heuer Carrera that was recently auctioned off in England. I personally would not have know about this rare Heuer Carrera if Jeff had not posted it on the Forum, as I had no knowledge of the Bonhams Auction or of its existence. If you will notice there are few attempts of individual who try to post information about their Heuer auctions on the Forum. I feel this is because most individual have a sense of fairness that prevents them from trying to do this. Also because of the possibility of being ignored by Heuer Collectors if such an attempt is made, as was the recent case in which the seller of a Heuer Skipper Manual Wind posted his auction number to the Forum. I had already marked this auction on my eBay tracking list before the seller put it on the Forum. After the seller posted it I felt that it would attract attention, but to the contrary it was ignored. I purchase it not because he posted it on the Forum but because it was a good buy that I had already view and marked in my eBay. There were only two bid on the auction. Therefore the sword can be doubled edged and can cut the user if he is not careful. I think that when Jeff list a interesting Heuer it is because it is of great interest to all Heuer Collectors. This is just my opinion and thank God we all have them. Good Heuer collecting to all. Charles

: Jeff, I should have added that I did not think
: you were getting a cut of the action as I
: know you wouldn't do that. I am sorry if I
: implied that.

: But I just wanted to point out the nature of
: posting like this and the potential impact
: it has on the market for the watches. It is
: a fine line to walk on the forum to generate
: discussion about a watch and not appear or
: result in promoting or detracting from
: selling action.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE