The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
SomeFollow-Up...
In Response To: Re: Some thoughts... ()

Re: Some thoughts... Posted By: victor Date: 3/9/06 12:06 GMT

In Response To: Some thoughts... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

: The seller told me this where the right

: pushers! Seller? or Dealer?

this was an authorized dealer in the neterlands(where i live)

Observation: We had no idea where you hail from Victor. You didn't state and @Yahoo.com means you could be anywhere. Most people who access this site are either American or Canadian, so it's a save assumption that most posts from unfamaliar names will come from the northern 2/3's of North America.

: Where are they

: sending it to? LVMH/Pro-Time in New Jersey?

As far as i know they have send it to LVMH in swiss.

You may wish to enquire. I'd hope that LVMH and or TAG-Heuer would have more sense that that.

: I have send them the one website to see which

: pushers should be on my carrera. Which

: website is this may I ask? ... Would you

: post a link please?

The link i have sended to the dealer is:

http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/63.Carrera/e.Automatic_(early)/69.Reference_1153S/?show=101Car1153SBM.jpg

The more information we have the better able we are help you (and even determine if there is anything we can do.

: it seems like they dont have a clue what they

: are doing? Frankly, few dealers do.

: Realize that most dealers, even authorized

: dealers seek employees who show up reliably

: and dependably on time at the lowest

: possible wage/commission to keep costs down

: and profits up. [snip]

: You find a good/excellent Authorized Dealer

: take care of them. They are very uncommon.

: -- Chuck

: I can understand that not every one has the knowledge of vintage watches, but at least they could have installed two same pushers on the watch instead of two different pushers.

It depends on what specific instructions you gave to the dealer to pass along to the repairer.

Most dealers when presented with a watch that doesn't work, assume that the customer wishes the watch to be repaired in a timely manner and at a lower cost if possible. Which means that the repairer will sttrive to repair the watch quickly and substitute newer more available (read less expensive to source) parts unless otherwise directed.

If I were to send a watch to TAG-Heuer (or Omega in Bienne) for repair and or restoration, I would include a letter stating that the originality of the piece is very important to me, and I would rather that the parts on the watch be repaired or reconditioned (except for the dial, etc.) rather than replaced with modern parts that would destroy the originality and hence collectability, of the piece. I would further state that I would appreciate an email (preferably) or a phone call before anything drastic is done to the watch so I can mull over the options. I'd further state I am willing to forgo a quick and cheap repair (within reason) in order to preserve as much of the collectability of my watch as possible.

thanks for sharing your experiences!

It's hard to turn back the hands of time. But hopefully my thoughts are useful to you for next time...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE