The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Come closer and look into the DarkSide... *PIC*

and you will see that there is no crisis.

I think David's choices are not only spectacular but actually logical because "Back in the day" Heuer and Rolex were both tool watches with more similarities than differences. It's no coincidence that at one time both brands had chronos powered by the same Val.72 movement.
Take away the $$$ factor and I think it is much more easy to see the Heuer/Rolex connection.

Today things have changed; Heuer is TAG and Rolex has moved up-town.
TAG is fighting for respectability among the Omega/Brietling crowd and Rolex still makes a damn fine tool watch but prices it in the Patek/AP neighborhood and I think this is something of a shame on both accounts.

I must admit that I've also found myself seduced by the power of the Crown. A few years ago my collection was 10 to 1 Heuer to Rolex. Now it is 2 to 1 Rolex to Heuer and I'm seriously considering selling my few remaining Heuer icons.

Did I drink the kool-aid??
No not really.
The vintage Heuers are wonderful but I truly never-ever wear them so they should probably go. I'm really more comfortable wearing a modern Rolex that can be easily repaired or replaced than a pristine vintage Heuer that I am in near constant fear of damaging.

Strictly to cover my need for a dress watch I bought a plain little Patek. Nothing fancy or complicated and I swear this is the only PP that I will ever buy (famous last words).

Best,
Mike

GO CARDS!!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE