The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Poor Man's Heuers

Hi
I'm new here (though have posted a bit elsewhere) and have a bit of a query about the poor man's Heuers, especially in relation to the 501 Pasadena and 510 versions. This seems the best place to put it, so here goes.

It is clear that the 510s were also made by Heuer for Tourneau and Lederer, with only the name on the dial different. All the time Heuer was still keeping the Heuer model codes (and even the Heuer name) on the caseback.

However, I am a bit more confused over the Pasadena versions (bear with me, I've yet to handle either of these watches, but am curious).

As far as I can see, the 750.501 has the same case shape as the 510.501 (the code would make this logical) with a concave progression from the crystal to the shrouded lugs.

However, as far as I can see, the LeJour (and for that matter the Meister Anker and others of similar ilk) do not, the shape is linear to the lugs. To me it does not look like the same case. I also am yet to see a version with any type of Heuer code on it.

So my question is whether it is definite that the LeJours are Heuer-made and rebranded, or whether there is a possiiblity that they are LeJour-made homage, and not Heuer-made at all. It would seem odd that Heuer get a new case specifically to make watches for someone else, wouldn't it.........?

I have had a look at the LeJour document in the PMH section of On-the-dash, and the evidence looks compelling, but the typed pricelist actually says that the LeJour is exactly the same as the Heuer and the Porsche Design. We know that those two definitely are not the same as each other, so the LeJour can't be "identical" to both. Is it similar, but not exactly the same, as the Heuer and the PD. Does the writer mean that they are effectively the same....?

Looking around Ebay I recently came across an Arola for sale in Ecuador (it is still for sale - I have no connection to the seller) which seemingly does use the concave Heuer case with the 7750 movement, so one might conclude that Heuer did make them for others.

But I wonder whether they ceased to do so, and LeJour carried on making an homage for quite a time afterwards.

There are also examples of the LeJour in circulation that have significantly thicker hands than the Heuer original. Are these fake LeJours, or do they indicate the separate manufacture???

I would welcome all comments and observations, as I have to admit to being a little confused.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE