The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Beauty and the Beast *PIC*

Only the beast is new, the day date is an old purchase. The plopof is my favourite watch of the moment. It has got a nice story attached to it, with some sort of moral to the story, but I am not sure what that moral is.

Anyway, the story: when I started buying Omega, rather than overpaying on some dubious watches (as I did in my earlier Heuer days) I decided to take the advice given to every newbie: be patient, watch auctions, check prices, do research, above all don't rush.

Generally good advice, except I forgot the other piece of advice often given to newbies, kids, and small animals: don't stand in front of a 30 ton truck coming down the road at 70 mph. Oh yeah, I think the truck was called Omegamania.

So it ended up costing me double what I could have bought it for if I had not been careful (don't worry, I didn't pay anywhere near the anitquorum style price) but I really love it.

I think Chuck said wearing one of these to go down the the shop was like wearing full scuba gear in a kiddies paddling pool (or some such analogy) and I sort of see his point, but I wear it pretty often.

It's the first non-chrono watch I have bought for 22 years. I doubt it will be the start of any serious disease like the dreaded rolexitis which has sadly struck some other members of the forum (who shall remain nameless). At least I don't think anyone could argue that this is not a tool watch!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE