The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Any source to confirm your assumption?

I don't see anything anywhere to lead me to believe that an automatic would not work perfectly in space. If anything, inertia given to the watch rotor would not be countered by gravity, so the most simple movement in any direction can contribute to winding the watch.

Colonel Pogue certainly had no trouble with his Seiko, and your "evidence" based on Reinhard Furrer wearing another watch is flimsy at best considering that all astronauts usually wear two watches. Also, let's not forget that Fortis has been providing the Russian space agency with watches powered by automatic movements for more than a decade. If there was any issue with those, I think we might have heard about it by now...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE