The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Yes but I'm still correct! wouldn't wind well
In Response To: Hasty conclusions I believe ()

Sorry, I thought the bet for a 99cent bag of M&Ms was the signal for fun and games but like I said no hill of beans one way or the other . I take not offence and I’m sorry if I offended you and any heroes of yours (alive or dead).

Now back to the experiment. I never said they would not work , "just not as well" and you are correct about the 2894-2. However, the rotor may move in the rotation of “not winding” which would result in the movement “not winding”. And the bearing and winding of most watches are based on the same patent so it would not matter much which movement one used.

I think that NASA would have sent the Astronauts on course to operate THEE Speedmaster ( again I’m only willing to risk 99 cents here ) and I would think that there would be a correct time and a correct way to wind the Omega as to not wreck it, not over wound it and to keep it on time. Armed with that thought, I put to you, that even the automatic space watch wearing Astronauts would wind their Automatic Chronometers manually. I’m sure there is at least one who might be able to answer this question .And maybe, just maybe, there is a manual out there that can be loaded onto OTD.

I to, have often disagreed with friends and family. There was ONE time when I was wrong. I said I was “NOT perfect”, turns out I was wrong about that.

This has been a slice! This thread, combined with the expensive Hami thread has added up to more than a hill of beans!

: I am not with NASA either, and I don't think I
: have been unfriendly as I happen to disagree
: with my friends pretty often.

: I believe your video evidence, while
: interesting, is flawed by the fact that it
: is showing a single movement that, as far as
: I know, has never powered a watch sent to
: space. A more interesting observation could
: be made with a Lemania 5100 movement which
: has been used on many orbital missions, most
: notably by the Russian Space Agency.

: It is also to be noted that the ETA 2894-2 has,
: due to its bi-directional winding ability
: (absent from the aforementioned Lemania), a
: stiffer rotor than on most watches, making
: it a lot more dependent on gravity than many
: other automatic calibres. So your
: demonstration has at the most demonstrated
: the poor suitability of that particular
: movement for space travel. I do not think
: drawing universal conclusions from you
: little experiment is scientifically valid
: though...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE