The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My secret crystal polishing recipe!

I have cleaned many plastic crystals using the following method, you will be amazed by the results!

Before starting carefully tape round the crystal with masking tape to avoid damaging the bezel.

To remove the scratches I use a finger nail buffing stick bought from the Body Shop. It looks like a giant nail file about 1/8" thick rubber and has 3 grades of very light abrasive surface on the surfaces. Start with the roughest and when scratches removed move on to next finest and finally the very fine grade.

I then polish the crystal with "Mothers Mag" a polish used by custom car fans to polish alloy wheels to a mirror finish. This polish is paste and only a very small amount is required applied with some cotton wool. I have found paste far superior to a liquid polish which can run down the edges of the crystal.

Total time around 15 minutes.

This method just takes off enough to remove the scratches - if you use it on an Omega the engraved logo will still be there when you have finished.

Remove the tape and you have a new watch - well a new crystal!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE