The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
CBCCRD: User's Guide with Action Photos

OK, here it is . . . a partial solution to the problem of shirts that have small cuffs and chronographs that are large -- the Closet-Based Cuff / Chronograph Reconciliation Device ("CBCCRD"). It is a "partial" solution, because it cannot make the cuffs bigger, or the chronos smaller, but it can help you assess whether a given type of chronograph will fit under a particular cuff.

We start with the Device itself -- two black lines, drawn in the closet, within easy reach of the shirt rail. the two black lines are drawn to mark the required circumference of the ideal cuff (i.e., a cuff that will accommodate your largest chronograph). Of course, this distance will vary considerably, based on the circumference of your wrist. You should establish the ideal distance by drawing the lines, based on a favorite shirt.

Now, on a given morning, as you are selecting your shirt, you simply compare the size of the cuff with the distance between the two black lines. In the photo shown below, we see the ideal shirt -- it matches the lines almost exactly; this tells me that the cuff can handle something like a Monaco, an automatic Autavia or even the Guinand Buren 12 Chronomatic, a huge chrono with the thick leather strap. The largest chrono / strap combination may be a little cozy, but make no mistake -- if the cuff matches these lines, then I can comfortably wear just about any chronograph.

In the photo shown below, we see a "problem cuff". It is almost an inch below the ideal size, telling me that if I want to wear this shirt, then I will need to wear a very thin / small watch. The Rolex Bubbleback will fit nicely, as will the H. Stone, but the Guinand or Sinn will be absolutely impossible. So if I want to wear a large watch on this particular day, then I will need to choose another shirt.

While the marks in the closet cannot solve the cuff / chrono problem entirely, they will allow you to avoid every watch guy's nightmare -- putting on the shirt you had wanted to wear, then finding that the watch that you had wanted to wear that day will not fit under the cuff. Do you switch shirts or switch chronographs? And what about your pants and shoes?

OK, guys . . . so how many of you will be making these two black marks in your closet?

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE