The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Agree: Heuer Would Not Have Been using Cal 11 in 1971
In Response To: Re: Movement-question ()

I agree with the idea that Heuer would likely not have been using the Cal 11 in 1971. The original Cal 11 movements began coming back for service almost immediately after they were shipped -- the date change / banking issues / etc., being at the root of the problem. Most Cal 11s that came in for service were modified to Cal 12 specs, with several parts being replaced. In the interim between Cal 11 and Cal 12, Heuer was using the Cal 11-I (Improved) movement, which addressed most of the problems.

I am working on a webpage that shows all this, but at the moment this page has been put aside in favor of a couple of other projects. I will try to bring this webpage to the top of the "to do" list.

Of course, the great unknown about all this is the "parts bins" . . . there was not always great precision about what parts went into a particular watch. Still, it's difficult for me to imagine a Cal 11 going into a chronograph as late as 1971.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I see your point with the master reference table.
: I hope i wasn't premiture in making the assumption on Cal.12
: Monaco's.
: It was based on the fact that Heuer had found issues come up with
: the Cal.11 movement and its 'sudden ' change of date from 11:45
: to midnight.
: The fact that the Cal.12 is the improved version of the Cal.11 (
: with its higher rate and improved date change mechanism ) its
: hard to imagine Heuer would continue to use the Cal.11( by '71
: an inferior movement ) in the Monaco when they had ceased
: placing them in Autavia's and Carrera's.

: Maybe one of our members can confirm/deny this fact.

: - Darren

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE