The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re-issue Carreras

Hello there

I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me.

I am about to purchase a new watch and was immediately drawn to the Heuer Carrera Chronograph.

However, having done a little research, I am a little concerned that the new Carrera automatic uses a bought-in ETA movement which is, I understand, the same movement which is used in a number of, shall we say, slightly less exotic watches costing less than half of what the Carrera does.

I am, therefore, concerned that the Carrera, at virtually £2,000 (GB) does not represent particularly good value for money (almost exactly the same price as a Rolex no-date Sub!).

This has caused me to consider two alternatives - the discontinued manual wind Carrera Chrono and the Calibre 36 Monza.

My questions really are;

1 - Am I wrong about the Carrera auto being poor value?
2 - Is the manual wind Carrera a better movement (particularly in terms of finish / reliability) and do you know where I can get hold of one?
3 - Is the Monza 36 worth virtually double the Carrera Auto?
4 - Do you know of any plans that TAG Heuer may have to produce a C. 36 Carrera?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Regards

John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE