The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Golden Hours - Automatic gold L5100

: I think they chose not to use the Carrera name on this one for the
: case shape is the same as the 510.50x and not the cushion one of
: the L5100 Carreras (510.511 and 510.523).

Hey Fabrizio. Look closely at the case on the Golden Hours watch - it's not the same case as the 510.50x watches, it's the 70s Carrera case from an 1158, albeit with the cutout for the crown amended to be on the right-hand side.

Golden Hours case:

Carrera 1153/8 et al case:

So it's already in a Carrera case, it's but a small step to call it one... In fact, less of a step for this watch than the 510.511 and 510.523 Carreras, as this one uses an already familiar case whereas that cushion one was all new for the Lemania 5100. Makes you wonder why they didn't use that case for them too as the movement clearly fits, but perhaps that case in PVD says "Monza" too strongly.

: As for a contest between the Pasadena and the 510.501, I may
: certainly be biased towards the L5100 but it's really no
: competition in my opinion: it's the 510.501 a thousand times
: over - fluted pushers, much brighter dial and of course a L5100
: at its heart. And I do own a Pasadena as well, and I like it...

What David is getting at is that Heuer seemed to have made the conscious decision to make a break from using names and instead to use numeric codes. What could have been called a Carrera was called a 510.508, what was a Pasadena became a 510.501. Sure, some numbers can be evocative - 911, 328 anyone? - but in the watches, it's the names that rule... most of the time. Of course, they then did call other watches by names in the same period, indicative of the chaos in the Swiss watch industry at the time!

All said, I still really like the watch - who'd have thought such a technical movement as a 5100 would look so at home in a gold case with a champagne dial - but if it was a Carrera, I would long for one and that's the difference right there!

Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE