The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Fakes from S. America
In Response To: Re: A Heuer by Turler ()

This is not a matter of prejudice. I will qualify my statement by saying that the majority of fake vintage watches listed on ebay are from S. America. If you need statistical proof, I can supply it. Vintage Breitlings and Baume et Mercier from S. America are the highest percentage. As a watchmaker, I look at the inside of the watch 1st - altered or fake signatures are easy to spot but they are getting better at it all the time. Recently I have seen some that are nearly impossible to tell if they are fake, especially if they have used an original dial.
Buying a fake and trying to correct it is a waste of time and money.
Granted, there are fakes being produced all over the world but S. America still appears to be the most prolific. I am sure that there are others who view this site know what I am talking about so chime in. Craig

: Well... I live in this part of the world. Though I am used to
: northern world prejudice, I stil can't understand it.
: I know some well known collectors who have made nice deals here
: around - am I wrong Jeff?

: I've seen many watches with wrong replacements all over the world.
: One can call this a fake, others can see this as an opportunity
: to make a fair deal and spend some extra time & materials to
: get the watch correct (isn't it part of the hobby?). I also know
: some companies dedicated to produce "replicas" of
: everything - none of them in S.A; many in Europe, Asia...

: Sorry

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE