The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Generalisations are bad. In general
In Response To: Re: A Heuer by Turler ()

Yes, I have seen some horrible fakes originating from South America. But, like Guilhermo, I have seen equally horrible fakes originating here in Europe, from North America, from Asia, from Australia... and the list goes on. A fake is a fake, wherever it is being sold from and wherever it was manufactured. Some parts of the world are more into faking current watches than vintage perhaps, but a fake is a... well, you get the point.

Equally, I have seen some splendid watches from South America. And everywhere else on the list.

There are some territories where some of us are more nervous about doing deals, for whatever reason. Parts of South America, yes, also China, certain south-east Asian states, some of the newer Eastern European countries. And yet these are also where some of the best watches could be - the mature collecting markets become a little stale after a while, with the same watches circulating ad infinitum, so perhaps it pays to take a "risk" on some of the newer markets.

The same precautions apply as when you buy any vintage watch:

- be as well informed about the watch in question as you can be
- get as much information as you can about it - high res photos, serials etc
- "buy" the seller; get references etc
- use a secure and traceable payment method

A multi-lingual, vegetarian, German club-supporting Brit!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE