The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: terrible advice, take it to a watchmaker
In Response To: Re: glue + watches = regret ()

Please don't take offense Bill but I think you're giving an apparent novice terrible advice that could result in damaging a $5,000+ watch. For heavens sake, take it to a watchmaker (lots of jewelry stores employ one) so he can properly open the case and tighten the crown or crown stem internally. The watch is probably overdue for a service but if you can't afford that expense right now, at least ask a watchmaker to properly tighten the loose crown. If the entire crown and stem come loose, I believe there is something similar to a set screw that holds it in place. You need to get inside the movement to do that so please let a watchmaker do it. I have an Autavia GMT which needed that fix and the local watchmaker (at a local jeweler) only charged me $35. Better safe than sorry if you ask me. An 1133 Monaco is worth a lot of money, don't ruin it to save around $35.

: When the stem is pulled out for setting, you'll have to determine
: what there is enough clearance to safely slip in beween the case
: and crown space to hold the stem steady. Easy does it. No metal
: on metal, wrap what you use in tape or with thin material. More
: likely you'll need two really thin pieces of cardboard or cut
: thin pieces of plastic, inserted in the space from either side
: and held together toward the stem. That might give you the
: leverage for a few seconds that you need to tighten the crown.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE