The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Swiss Price List from 1973; Are Prices Really This Low?

Remember Switzerland is a multilingual country (4 official languages are recognised), so the internationally accepted CHF currency code doesn't work for all of them.

In fact, nearly two-thirds of the population are German speaking and the amount as far as they are concerned would be in Schweizer Franken. Hence S.Fr.

And Biel is just inside the German-speaking region:

though you'll also see from that map that Bern is officially a bi-lingual canton.

As to why it would be that much cheaper, well I'm sure some of it would be accounted for by no export or customs duties. Whether that's enough to cover all that difference or if some of it is just the Swiss taking an extra cut from the US, I'm not sure! A bit of both, I'd wager.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE