The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Nikon D300 with 60mm f/2.8 Macro

On the Montreal, I was using a Nikon 60mm Macro . . . shooting in the dark of night, with a very bright light (1,000 watts halogen) lighting the ceiling and a soft box (500 watts) in various positions, typically at the height of the watch; watch was usually on a stand, surrounded on back and two sides by white plexi-glass / acrylic.

Camera was mounted on a Magic Arm, so I was using slow exposures with high f/stop (in Aperture priority mode), with the ISO in the 800 range, I believe. White balance was in one of the Incandescent pre-sets, so I didn't pay much attention to the White Balance. So I have not done much fine-tuing yet, but will try to learn more as I go along.

I have Elements, but use a program called ACDSee 9 for cropping, re-sizing, etc. This program has the equivalent of Levels (three sliders on a histogram), along with the usual HSL, brightness, RBG, etc.

The machinery (D300 / 60mm lens) is far more capable than the operator right now, but considering that these were within the first 20 or 30 shots with the camera / lens, I was fairly satisfied with the results; clearly this D300 / 60mm has far more capability than my trusty, beloved CoolPix 4500 (which has probably delivered at least 20,000 to 30,000 photos for the $200 purchase price, bought used on eBay) . . . but I am always enthusiastic about learning from the masters!!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Jeff - good choice in camera. What lens are you using for the
: watches?
: I think your lighting set-up is excellent which is evident from the
: pictures i.e. even illumination on the dial and no reflection
: off the glass. If you have Photoshop (Elements of CS...) I would
: suggest that you have a play with the levels. This is usually
: represented as a curve on a graph with dark, mid tone and light
: sliders. If you bring the dark and light slider inwards to the
: point of the curve where it just starts to rise you will get a
: better contrast and colour rendition. If you shot the image in
: RAW format you will need to sharpen.
: There are lot of settings on the camera and fully automatic is one.
: To avoid disappointment and the potential wrath from the wife
: and family for messing up the pictures go for auto setting.
: That’s if you have not already read the 400-page user guide at
: least twice.
: Regards
: Paul

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE