The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Haslinger Auction.. A question.

I'm fairly sure it matters not if you're a novice or a seasoned pro on this subject; either way it’s very difficult to call for all of us.

I'm not sure how many people have registered, but I haven’t yet so I’m sure lots of others haven’t got round to it as it's not on the “imminent radar”. I’d surprised if it wasn’t into 3 figures come the event.

As far as a benchmark goes, that's also tough. The prices Bonhams can and will achieve for these pieces are clearly significantly ahead of normal market prices, due to their name and the process of the "world tour", there has been much PR and work going into this event and with Tag's backing and perhaps even bidding (for their own collection) this really is a once in a lifetime Heuer event (so far). I also believe there will be some “new” collectors wading in to do battle on these pieces, which will add to the competition, but it also depends how much competition they get from the current collectors who might have their eye on something specific.

Remember also these pieces have been on display in Arnos beautiful book for some time also and these pieces have much provenance and are "proper" sets, many coming with boxes, original bands, papers etc. These complete sets alone can add 25% to the value of a watch. I have to say I change my mind daily on the landscape post auction, but I think a considered view is that prices post auction will be higher but I believe not tremendously...with the biggest movements coming in the true nos condition watches and the very rare variants.

Of course this is just my opinion today, it might change next week and I know it was different (slightly) last week! Apologies if I have muddied the waters still further!

Cheers

Rich
www.heuermonaco.co.uk

: As a novice I am curious to ask what peoples thoughts are relative
: to the interest in this most unique upcoming auction.
: Sure, it is a big thing among this select group, but overall, how
: much interest do you folk think it will garner in the outer
: world?
: I seem to remember seeing in the recent past, someone stating that
: there were (37?) registrations for bidding so far, and I was
: somewhat taken aback by this number, considering that I am one
: of them.
: I have no idea in these matters, so am wondering if, as an estimate
: people think there may be 50, 150, 500, 1000 (more?) people
: interested in bidding (owning) one of Arno's most beautiful
: watches.
: Also, is it a given that the results of this auction will set a
: benchmark for all Heuer valuations for the future?
: Opinions would be greatly appreciated as I appreciate that no one
: can forsee the future.

: regards
: mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE